Every movement begins with a moment.
The “Connected Consumer” Connection
Posted 15 December 2015 9:00 AM by Justin Honaman @MoxieUSA, @jhonaman
A fast-developing relationship exists between the Connected Consumer and the consumer goods (CG) manufacturer. What makes this relationship possible? It’s enabled by mobile and powered by the dual engines of social connections and CG loyalty programs.
Over time, CG manufacturers have become increasingly threatened by competitive, and often lower-priced, private label brands. To counter this surge, they market brand quality and invest in brand experience with the consumer. This pivot in strategy — paired with the ever-growing number of consumer channels — has created an expanded role for data-driven analytics. Indeed, without them, marketing decisions like the following would be shots in the (frequently real-time) dark:
Dynamic investment decisions
– Data-driven analytics is needed to enable on-the-fly marketing investment decisions vs. “stock” marketing program calendars that are often inflexible or centered on rigid, as-is marketing process over data-enabled insights (dynamic decision processes based on changing consumer insights).
Cross-channel spend expansion
– No longer are the traditional advertising mediums the recipients of marketing spend. Social platforms and mobile technology partnerships are now receiving additional investment — a move also driven largely by analytics on consumer interaction data. While traditional marketing mix models apply, they must expand to accommodate the additional channels and inputs on brand performance.
– While still rare — and in most cases a stretch — for CG manufacturers, there are now CG suppliers (e.g., Nike, Levi Strauss) with retail online storefronts who are able to develop a 1-to-1 relationship with consumers. Once these connections are established, they then brand-build, market to and evolve relationships with consumers across multiple channels while still providing a consistent experience. Unlike retail, whose direct-to-consumer relationship rests on product purchases, CG manufacturers are engaging with consumers to promote the brand while gaining insights that may be integrated back into the innovation cycle, the forecasting process or even used to predict out-of-stocks.
The “big data” challenge in the Connected Consumer space is that there is both structured and unstructured data flowing into the marketing department (or their respective agencies). And this data is often not integrated with sales, trade promotion, syndicated and/or POS data. Agency-managed data is limited (and siloed) and typically not all-inclusive of metrics that cross brands, channels and consumer touchpoints. From an analytics perspective, with more data and improved tools for analytics, comes the need for additional business analysis (or even data science) abilities among employees. More specifically, it requires someone who knows how to ask questions of data without seeking out one defined, expected answer.
There are several keys to making a successful transition to a Connected Consumer Connection marketing environment:
– Marketing must press to integrate consumer data in a platform that enables fast access to insights. In a recent Consumer Goods Technology survey of CG manufacturers, only 4% of respondents claimed to have a reporting and analytical environment that allows them to access relevant information in a user-friendly and timely manner. “Some” consumer data is stored with an agency (or with multiple agencies, none of which are connected), while loyalty data is stored with another agency. Best practice organizations are consolidating consumer insights in the cloud (or SaaS) and evaluating methods to bring together consumer data with loyalty data to provide something closer to a 1-to-1 platform for analysis and action. In addition, staffing plans are evolving to move from business analysis (dropping data into Excel and creating pivot tables) to a data science/marketing science model that drives and enables marketing business processes.
CMO vs. CIO competing priorities
– The marketing department has typically managed its investments in brand/consumer/shopper/category separately from IT. The reasons are obvious — control, faster time to market (avoiding typical IT gating processes), preference for OPEX-enabled cloud/SaaS options vs. CAPEX-enabled IT spend models, etc. The “big data” concept is forcing more collaboration across lines of business, and the dynamic tension between marketing and IT will increase as consumer technologies and associated data/insight capabilities grow. The hot topic at the 2013 National Retail Federation (NRF) annual conference was the progressively powerful role of the CMO driving technology business needs for the CIO. As 2016 approaches, CG manufacturers are still not there, yet early signs of this trend exist as marketing departments actively pursue connecting with the Connected Consumer.
Integrated marketing communication innovation
– Targeted communications mean delivering the right brand message content (customized) to the right consumer (targeted) at the right time (localized) in the format/technology (mobility) that is most appropriate to that consumer. Consumer data is the foundation of this communication objective, as are integrated shopper insights (e.g., Nielsen, IRI) and loyalty insights. Integrated data at the detail level enables rollups and planning at strategic levels.
Linkage to search investment
– Consumer insights plug directly into strategies and plans for investments in owned (CG equipment, POS), earned (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), paid (sponsorships, co-branded investments) and shared (customer partnerships, joint investments) platforms. When integrated into the planning and execution process, CG suppliers drive trial or recruitment and fuel retention.
Investment in new ways of working with retailers
– Retailers with an omnichannel orientation are increasingly investing in methods to meet each consumer’s buying needs regardless of when, where and how that person wants to make a purchase. Retailers are leaning into CG manufacturers to step up, invest in and take responsibility for their in-store presence and service levels. The goal: Maximize success and sales in the store by supporting/enabling flexible shop and purchase capabilities. In general, CG manufacturers are largely behind in supply chain/e-commerce/consumer insight capability investments that enable VMI, consumer insight-driven forecast and replenishment. The rise of the Connected Consumer means retailers will press CG partners to invest in these areas or be left out of the store.
CG manufacturers that embrace the opportunity to connect with their consumers will make significant strides over — and may even overrun — those that decide that the “status quo” works just fine.
Add your comment
Please confirm you are human by typing the text you see in this image:
Technology & Innovation
Planning for the Worst (and Best) Case Scenarios on Social
Trading Brains for Buttons: The Unintended Trap of Marketing Technologies
The Power (and Perils) of the Ecosystem
Please Turn It Off: Publishers Respond to Ad Blocking
The Power of a Picture
Consumer Insights Fuel Personalized Brand Engagement
The Next Generation of Virtual Reality (VR) and Rise of the Internet of Pets (IoP)
CES 2016 Panel: The Future of Digital Distribution
2016: The Year of Digital Modernism
Tap this. Hit that. Click here.
Personalization: Use Your Customer’s Data Wisely
Big Data-Driven Retail Promotion in the Modern World
3 Things Every Business Can Learn From Super Bowl Commercials
A Guide to the Top Messaging Apps & Why Marketers Should Take Note
Six Flags Takes VR for a Ride
How to Build a Better Website
From A to Z: The Best Content Editing Apps for Instagram
Facebook Reactions: Unraveling the Spaghetti of Your Emotions
Finding UX Inspiration in a Game Design Tool
Walking Into Walled Gardens
GR8 THINGS TO COME: MOXIE’S TAKE ON F8
Exploring the Ancient Art of Face-to-Face Communication
Five Ways to Tap Into the Wealth of Health
Why Counting Clicks Is a Thing of the Past
5 Influencers Who Are Winning on Snapchat
Facebook Exchange Is Closing as Mobile Opens Up
Extracting the Magic: The Hidden Tech of Disney World
Denny’s: A Brand Voice for Every Palate
The Sketch Pamphlet: A Love Story
Social Media Influencers Are Going Live
Coding Your Dreams With Processing
The Rise of Carousel Ads
It's Getting Personal
5 Ways Brands Can Leverage Facebook Live
Facebook Introduces Instagram Stories
5 Rules To Keep Influencers in Step With FTC Guidelines
Is Podcast Advertising a Good Fit for Your Brand?
Ideation. Creation. Production. Together!
How to Reach Millennials on Their Terms
Snapchat: New Focus, New Name, New Product
4 Tips to Better Serve Your Customers on Social
Where Are People Talking About Your Brand?
8 Last-Minute Digital Must Haves For An Amazing Valentine’s Day
Are agencies prepared for the next 10 years ?
Mobile Is and Isn't
Newbies No More: Renee and Eric Return From SXSW
The Big Data Buzz at SXSW
Lost In Austin: Thoughts From Two Newbies to SXSW
Top 10 Reasons Why SVG Is the New Flash
2015: A Question of Content
Building an Experience for the Connected Consumer
How to Develop a Solid Content Strategy for Your Brand
Amazon Moves to Prime Time
Build First: Fast-Paced Software Delivery on Agency Timelines
The Beauty of Machine Learning (or Trends and Supermodels)
LOVING THE LIKE: How Brands Use Instagram to Encourage Purchase Behavior
What is happening to my ESP?
Programmatic Buying: Just a Buzzword or the Future of Media Buying?
Sitecore 8 Makes Business Users Happy (and Developers, Too!)
Why Mobile Moments Should Be Part of Every Brand’s Day
Periscope and Meerkat: What’s the Big Hype?
HELPING QA KEEP PACE USING AUTOMATION – OPEN SOURCE EDITION
Joining Social Conversations: Advice Straight From a Millennial’s Mouth
Cracking the Code on Email Marketing
Web Accessibility Testing: A Digital Perspective on Process and Tools
2016 PLANNING: SIX KEY QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER
C2 Montréal: A Business Conference. Only Different.
Creating Content Based on Your Content Strategy
Hoist Your Hashflag
Installing and Configuring Sitecore's Email Campaign Manager
How Can Brands Use Content Strategy Effectively?
Cannes: Innovation With Humanity
Love that Lasts: Building an Agency Partnership for the Long Haul
Behind Every Beautiful Website Is a Well-organized Wireframe
Are Marketers Ready for Instagram’s Open API?
Why Your User Interface Developer Should Have Design Input
Creative and Data: Which One Is the Chicken or the Egg?
Understanding the Importance of Web Accessibility
The 2016 Presidential Campaign’s Most Valuable Asset: Your Attention
A Marketer’s Guide to Snapchat
Unit3C and FutureX Open Up About Moxie’s Open House
Creating Seamless Consumer Experiences
A dream to a reality: 48 websites in 48 hours
Is There Room for Creativity in Technical Design?
Creating an Integrated Consumer Products Experience
Rebirthing the GIF in Advertising
Fast Casual + Social Media: Tips for Creating a Successful In-Store Promotion
Presidential Candidate Logos in the Modern Era
Enabling a Seamless Commerce Strategy
6 Weeks to a Magical Light Display
Leveraging User-Generated Content on Social
The “Connected Consumer” Connection
How Accessible Is Your Brand?
Why Your Next Hire Should Be An Imperfectionist
Boggie- Nouveau Parfum
2014 Social Media Marketing Outlook
Cheat Sheet: January 21–24
Old Spice Interneterventions
The Facebook Times?
In or Out? Social Content Trends for the New Year
Schwartz Flavor Shots
4 Mobile Marketing Mindsets to Adopt in 2014
The Realities of Real Time
4 Key Takeaways from CES 2014
Moto X Print Ad
Facebook Launches Paper
Zero Carbon Food
2014 Super Bowl Spots
Fodder Mascot Bracket 2014
SXSW 2014: Wrapup
It’s Technical: Wearable Technology and Your Health
Lessons From the Dustins on How to Survive SXSW
Mobile Zen: The Data Behind Happiness
What Drives Word of Mouth?
What Social Media Analytics Can't Tell You
Moxie at SXSW 2014
What the New Facebook Pages Mean for Your Brand
Giggles with Google on April Fool's
3 Ways to Target and Reach Custom Audiences on Facebook
97% of Creative Leaders Are Blind
From Jane Doe to Jay-Z -- Who's Influencing You?
Reflections of An Advertising Man
Manbassador: It's Not a Cologne
Native Facebook Video
Twitter Launches More Robust Native Analytics
Apple's Long Con For Human Connection
Crest & Oral-B Halloween
Before They Pass Away
Baseball Card Vandals
Air New Zealand
Porsche 911 50th Anniversary
Telekinetic Coffee Shop
NatGeo "The Photography Issue"
The Float Table
Nike Music Shoe
Danny MacAskill's "Imaginate"
Bob Dylan "Like A Rolling Stone"
Upworthy's Viral Video Playbook
5 Email Trends to Test in 2014
Around the World in 80MM+ Pictures
Digital Innovation Roundup: November 11-14
Cheat Sheet: November 11-15
Brands: Think Before You Share
Is The Man Who Is Tall Happy?
Digital Innovation Roundup: November 4-7
The Invisible Bicycle Helmet
Cheat Sheet: November 4 - 8
A Digital Equation: If Mobile = Social & Social = Mobile, Then Solve for Success
Digital Innovation Roundup: October 28-31
Google Analytics: Shiny and New Again
Cheat Sheet: October 28 - November 1
Street Art 2013
Bear and the Hare
Pantone Color of 2014
Cheat Sheet: December 9-13
Oh, Snap! Insta-Messaging Is Here: Introducing Instagram Direct
The Brand-Boosting Power of Influencer Marketing
Establishing Validity in Social Media Measurement
The Mimi Foundation
Junk Head 1
Cheat Sheet Special Edition: Black Friday & Cyber Monday
Tim Noble and Sue Webster
Marketing Opportunities on the Rise for Female Sports Fans
2D or Not 2D
How to Present Data and Make It Resonate
#crisis #socialmediacrisis #socialmedia #digitalmarketing #socialmarketing #strategy #influencers #communication #pr #media #ideation #creation #content #planning #culture
social media influencers
social media broadcasting
UX Best Practices
Designing User Journeys
Stop counting clicks
Designing for completion
Designing for satisfaction
Dieter Ram and User Experience
Less is more
Less but better
Super Mario Maker
Facebook at Work
Service Design Strategy
Six Flags Over Georgia
Dare Devil Drive
test and learn
fast casual restaurants
social media campaigns
in-store social media promotions
successful social media campaigns
#CPG #Retail #ConsumerInsights #CRM #ConsumerDirect #Seamless #OmniChannel
Ponce City Market
EasyPay self-checkout app
Content Marketing Strategy
Brand Content Marketing
Brand Content Strategy
Social Content Strategy
life saving dot
email service provider
Create Content Strategy
TV & Video
Everything on demand
Web search results
Instagram Purchase Behavior Like Content Consumer Channel Role and Purpose
Innovation and Technology
Ever-evolving Digital Age
scaleable vector graphics
real time marketing
PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR INFORMATION
TO DOWNLOAD THE PAPER.
Error: All fields are required.
YOUR DOWNLOAD IS NOW AVAILABLE.